Sunday, July 8, 2012

Spreading the Gospel, Social Media, a 10-Point List, and All That

Evangelization is a fancy word for spreading the Gospel: telling folks about my Lord.

Whatever it's called, spreading the Gospel sounds like a big responsibility: and a lot of work. I'm a Catholic layman, with no formal theological training. Can't I let someone else evangelize, 'spread the Gospel,' and just go to church once a week?

I've got free will, so I could decide to stop being a practicing Catholic: which would be a daft decision. Since I intend to stay with my Lord's church, I need to spread the Gospel. It's part of being Catholic:
"Go, therefore, 12 and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,

"teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. 13 And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.' "
(Matthew 28:19-20)
The Church has more to say, like Matthew 28:16-20; Mark 16:14; and Catechism of the Catholic Church, 900, 1122.

Basically, as a practicing Catholic I have to do my share of 'making disciples of all nations.' Which isn't the same as forcing folks to say they agree with me. And that's yet another topic. Topics.

Maintaining this blog seemed like a good way to do my evangelizing. I'm always ready to improve my skills, so I was glad to read something on the USCCB Blog.

Social Media, Passing Notes, and Spreading the Gospel

Yesterday I noticed and 'reTweeted' a 'Tweet' by @bostoncatholic, the Archdiocese of Boston's Twitter account. In other words, I passed along a note written by someone else: acknowledging the original writer.

Since quite a few folks use Twitter, or know about the social media service, or have heard jokes about Twitter and 'Tweeting,' I figure that it's safe to use words like "reTweet." I could be wrong about that: which is why I explained what the words meant.

The Archdiocese of Boston was letting folks know about a post written by the Media Relations staff of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, or USCCB:
"The Gospel and Social Media"
USCCB Blog (July 5, 2012)

"Two caveats for evangelizers, that is, those who spread the Gospel today: 1. Use social media and 2. Follow its rules. It's a new day in church work: the computer has replaced the pen, 15 minutes seems like eternity, and if you don't get your message out fast, the audience disappears...."

Eschew Obfuscation, and Other Good Advice

The USCCB Blog post is a quick read. It's also one of the very few blog posts that I've printed out, re-read, and 'studied.' I've underlined, bracketed, and otherwise marked up the printout: and intend to use it as a sort of 'checklist' when I write.

The USCCB Blog post is mostly a 10-point list of good advice for folks using social media:

"...some rules for social media evangelization:"
  1. Translate church teaching
  2. Avoid church speak
  3. Use images, as Jesus did
  4. Understand that social media is social
  5. Social media sometimes calls for a suit of armor
  6. Use the delete button
  7. Spread Catholicism’s fun parts
  8. Remember rules are changing
  9. Remember web messages live forever
  10. Keep it short
    (USCCB Blog)
Those are just the headings. There's a short paragraph with each, explaining what terms like "church speak" mean: and, in that case, explaining why using it isn't effective evangelization. Again, I recommend reading "The Gospel and Social Media." It's good advice for anybody interested in communicating online.

Screen Names and Personal Safety

Something not in that 10-point list is "be yourself." Literally.

There's probably a controversy going on about whether or not it's 'right' to use screen names, pseudonyms for social media. I think it's a good idea, letting readers know who the writer is: usually.

Some folks live in countries where simply sharing an article you found on the Internet is punishable by death:
In tightly-managed countries like that, I think using a screen name makes sense.

Screen Names and Credibility

I live in America, a country with a pretty good track record for tolerating folks who aren't on the same page as the country's leadership. I've used screen names, but don't need to protect myself and my family from thought police. That's why I use my real name in online profiles: Brian Gill; or Brian H. Gill.

I don't think cloaking my identity is a good way to gain credibility. Since I share ideas that should be taken seriously, hiding behind a screen name doesn't seem prudent.

There's something to the idea of being 'transparent,' in the sense of being "free of deceit."
  • Transparent (adjective)
    • Transmitting light
      • Able to be seen through with clarity
    • So thin as to transmit light
    • Free of deceit
    • Easily understood or seen through
      • Because of a lack of subtlety
    (Princeton's WordNet)

'On Twitter, I'm Aluwir'

I've used several screen names: like Norski; Conan the Philosopher; and Aluwir. I like "Norski," since I'm half Norwegian: but found that quite a few other folks like it too: and something like "Norski347" wouldn't be all that memorable.

"Aluwir" is my favorite, since it's easy to 'say,' seems to be memorable: and is, to the best of my knowledge, unique. When someone else gets "Brian Gill" as a screen name, Aluwir is now my second choice:
"Brian Gill" is a surprisingly common name, by the way. For a while someone else with that name had the same sort of job I did: which could have been a little confusing. Anyway, it's my name, and I'm not 'hiding' behind my screen names. Anyone with Internet access and a few minutes could find out that Aluwir or Norski is really Brian H. Gill, some guy living in Sauk Centre, Minnesota.

Where was I? Names, screen names, social media. Not being anonymous. Right.

I want folks to find what I write, and take some of it seriously, so I make an effort to be 'findable' online:
Besides being 'findable,' there's having something worth finding, which is where this post started:

What About the Lemming?

One of my blogs, Narcissus-X, is "a blog entirely devoted to Narcissus-X." I'm pretty sure that nobody thinks the blog's fictional author, an angsty and dubiously-sane artist, is a real person. I enjoy writing posts for Narcissus-X, since it allows me to have fun with language - and indirectly opine about the sort of self-centeredness that's been fashionable lately. I think it's funny, but your experience may vary.

Another blog, Apathetic Lemming of the North, is presumably written by an unusually large lemming who wears flannel shirts. The blog's "About the Lemming" page explains who I am, and why I chose that name for the blog.


From "Friday the Lemming Slept Late," Apathetic Lemming of the North. June 29, 2012.

I'm fairly confident that folks who read Apathetic Lemming of the North realize that a human being is really writing the posts: not a big flannel-wearing Lemming. And that's yet again more topics.

Related posts:

No comments:

Like it? Pin it, Plus it, - - -

Pinterest: My Stuff, and More

Advertisement

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Popular Posts

Label Cloud

1277 abortion ADD ADHD-Inattentive Adoration Chapel Advent Afghanistan Africa America Amoris Laetitia angels animals annulment Annunciation anti-catholicism Antichrist apocalyptic ideas apparitions archaeology architecture Arianism art Asperger syndrome assumptions asteroid astronomy Australia authority balance and moderation baptism being Catholic beliefs bias Bible Bible and Catechism bioethics biology blogs brain Brazil business Canada capital punishment Caritas in Veritate Catechism Catholic Church Catholic counter-culture Catholicism change happens charisms charity Chile China Christianity Christmas citizenship climate change climatology cloning comets common good common sense Communion community compassion confirmation conscience conversion Corpus Christi cosmology creation credibility crime crucifix Crucifixion Cuba culture dance dark night of the soul death depression designer babies despair detachment devotion discipline disease diversity divination Divine Mercy divorce Docetism domestic church dualism duty Easter economics education elections emotions England entertainment environmental issues Epiphany Establishment Clause ethics ethnicity Eucharist eugenics Europe evangelizing evolution exobiology exoplanets exorcism extremophiles faith faith and works family Father's Day Faust Faustus fear of the Lord fiction Final Judgment First Amendment forgiveness Fortnight For Freedom free will freedom fun genetics genocide geoengineering geology getting a grip global Gnosticism God God's will good judgment government gratitude great commission guest post guilt Haiti Halloween happiness hate health Heaven Hell HHS hierarchy history holidays Holy Family Holy See Holy Spirit holy water home schooling hope humility humor hypocrisy idolatry image of God images Immaculate Conception immigrants in the news Incarnation Independence Day India information technology Internet Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Japan Jesus John Paul II joy just war justice Kansas Kenya Knights of Columbus knowledge Korea language Last Judgment last things law learning Lent Lenten Chaplet life issues love magi magic Magisterium Manichaeism marriage martyrs Mary Mass materialism media medicine meditation Memorial Day mercy meteor meteorology Mexico Minnesota miracles Missouri moderation modesty Monophysitism Mother Teresa of Calcutta Mother's Day movies music Muslims myth natural law neighbor Nestorianism New Year's Eve New Zealand news Nietzsche obedience Oceania organization original sin paleontology parish Parousia penance penitence Pentecost Philippines physical disability physics pilgrimage politics Pope Pope in Germany 2011 population growth positive law poverty prayer predestination presumption pride priests prophets prostitution Providence Purgatory purpose quantum entanglement quotes reason redemption reflections relics religion religious freedom repentance Resurrection robots Roman Missal Third Edition rosaries rules sacramentals Sacraments Saints salvation schools science secondary causes SETI sex shrines sin slavery social justice solar planets soul South Sudan space aliens space exploration Spain spirituality stem cell research stereotypes stewardship stories storm Sudan suicide Sunday obligation superstition symbols technology temptation terraforming the establishment the human condition tolerance Tradition traffic Transfiguration Transubstantiation travel Trinity trust truth uncertainty United Kingdom universal destination of goods vacation Vatican Vatican II veneration vengeance Veterans Day videos virtue vlog vocations voting war warp drive theory wealth weather wisdom within reason work worship writing

Marian Apparition: Champion, Wisconsin

Background:Posts in this blog: In the news:

What's That Doing in a Nice Catholic Blog?

From time to time, a service that I use will display links to - odd - services and retailers.

I block a few of the more obvious dubious advertisers.

For example: psychic anything, numerology, mediums, and related practices are on the no-no list for Catholics. It has to do with the Church's stand on divination. I try to block those ads.

Sometime regrettable advertisements get through, anyway.

Bottom line? What that service displays reflects the local culture's norms, - not Catholic teaching.