Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wheat, Weeds, and a Tax Collector

I got involved in a discussion today when someone asked, I think rhetorically, if the weeds were going to grow with the wheat until the harvest.

I live in a small town in Central Minnesota - we're more corn and cattle than wheat around here, but the agricultural realities are the same. One of the frustrations of farming is that it's hard to distinguish the crop from the weeds - and I'm not going to get sidetracked with a discussion of herbicides and agribusiness.

Where was I? Wheat. Weeds. Harvest. Right.

That 'wheat and weeds' question refers to Matthew 13:24-30, where Jesus makes a point by describing a farmer who lets weeds and wheat grow together until the harvest, because he wants to be sure that no wheat is mistaken for a weed.

The question about wheat and weeds gets answered fairly clearly:
"Let them grow together until harvest; 11 then at harvest time I will say to the harvesters, 'First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles for burning; but gather the wheat into my barn.' "
(Matthew 13:30)
I don't mind the idea that wheat and weeds will grow side-by-side at all: since I've looked a whole lot like a weed, from time to time.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person in that position, and I'm quite willing to wait until I face my Lord and get sorted out. ("Particular judgment" is the technical term for that. More in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1020-1022, 1051)

Terribly 'Virtuous' Folks, and a Man With Sense

Then there's the Luke 18:9-14 thing, where Jesus told about a Pharisee who was quite thankful:
" 'The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, "O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity--greedy, dishonest, adulterous--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income." ' "
(Luke 18:11-14)
You know how that parable ends: the tax collector, who's got a much more realistic understanding of the situation and simply asks for mercy, comes out as the preferred role model.

Being Right, Acting Right, and Remembering Who We are

I've noticed that people don't, as a rule, react well when someone else insults them and ridicules their beliefs. People don't seem to appreciate condescension, either: not when they're the object of it.

Given my beliefs and way of life, I'm apt to tune out someone who refers to me as one of those "crazy religious people," and explains that anybody who thinks that God exists is obviously quite unintelligent. What can I say? I'm a human being.

Folks living in this world who aren't exactly like me - aren't really all that different, either. As I've written before, "those heretics may not like being called heretics." Technically, I've been a heretic for a substantial portion of my life. I didn't know that I was, and converted to Catholicism after I figured out what the score was: but the fact remains that I haven't always been a Catholic: and thus was, in a sense, a heretic.

The process of my conversion might have taken longer - or not happened at all - if I'd been harangued by some Catholic equivalent of a fire-and-brimstone preacher. I know that I'm a sinner - and that we're all in need of God's mercy. I'm not impressed when someone else seems to think that he and his buddies are the good guys, and that folks who aren't just like them - well, aren't.

Railing about 'those sinners over there' and extolling the virtues of folks who agree with me might feel good. But on the whole, I'd rather not explain why I indulged in that sort of self-righteousness to my Lord, when I meet Him one-on-one.

I don't think he approves of that sort of thing.

Communicating When Not Everybody's Just Like Me

I've put together another set of posts, in "What do I Really Feel About [___]," on communicating:

2 comments:

Brigid said...

You've got some extra punctuation here:

my barn.' " ' "

The Friendly Neighborhood Proofreader

Brian H. Gill said...

Brigid,

Got it, thanks!

Like it? Pin it, Plus it, - - -

Pinterest: My Stuff, and More

Advertisement

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Popular Posts

Label Cloud

1277 abortion ADD ADHD-Inattentive Adoration Chapel Advent Afghanistan Africa America Amoris Laetitia angels animals annulment Annunciation anti-catholicism Antichrist apocalyptic ideas apparitions archaeology architecture Arianism art Asperger syndrome assumptions asteroid astronomy Australia authority balance and moderation baptism being Catholic beliefs bias Bible Bible and Catechism bioethics biology blogs brain Brazil business Canada capital punishment Caritas in Veritate Catechism Catholic Church Catholic counter-culture Catholicism change happens charisms charity Chile China Christianity Christmas citizenship climate change climatology cloning comets common good common sense Communion community compassion confirmation conscience conversion Corpus Christi cosmology creation credibility crime crucifix Crucifixion Cuba culture dance dark night of the soul death depression designer babies despair detachment devotion discipline disease diversity divination Divine Mercy divorce Docetism domestic church dualism duty Easter economics education elections emotions England entertainment environmental issues Epiphany Establishment Clause ethics ethnicity Eucharist eugenics Europe evangelizing evolution exobiology exoplanets exorcism extremophiles faith faith and works family Father's Day Faust Faustus fear of the Lord fiction Final Judgment First Amendment forgiveness Fortnight For Freedom free will freedom fun genetics genocide geoengineering geology getting a grip global Gnosticism God God's will good judgment government gratitude great commission guest post guilt Haiti Halloween happiness hate health Heaven Hell HHS hierarchy history holidays Holy Family Holy See Holy Spirit holy water home schooling hope humility humor hypocrisy idolatry image of God images Immaculate Conception immigrants in the news Incarnation Independence Day India information technology Internet Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Japan Jesus John Paul II joy just war justice Kansas Kenya Knights of Columbus knowledge Korea language Last Judgment last things law learning Lent Lenten Chaplet life issues love magi magic Magisterium Manichaeism marriage martyrs Mary Mass materialism media medicine meditation Memorial Day mercy meteor meteorology Mexico Minnesota miracles Missouri moderation modesty Monophysitism Mother Teresa of Calcutta Mother's Day movies music Muslims myth natural law neighbor Nestorianism New Year's Eve New Zealand news Nietzsche obedience Oceania organization original sin paleontology parish Parousia penance penitence Pentecost Philippines physical disability physics pilgrimage politics Pope Pope in Germany 2011 population growth positive law poverty prayer predestination presumption pride priests prophets prostitution Providence Purgatory purpose quantum entanglement quotes reason redemption reflections relics religion religious freedom repentance Resurrection robots Roman Missal Third Edition rosaries rules sacramentals Sacraments Saints salvation schools science secondary causes SETI sex shrines sin slavery social justice solar planets soul South Sudan space aliens space exploration Spain spirituality stem cell research stereotypes stewardship stories storm Sudan suicide Sunday obligation superstition symbols technology temptation terraforming the establishment the human condition tolerance Tradition traffic Transfiguration Transubstantiation travel Trinity trust truth uncertainty United Kingdom universal destination of goods vacation Vatican Vatican II veneration vengeance Veterans Day videos virtue vlog vocations voting war warp drive theory wealth weather wisdom within reason work worship writing

Marian Apparition: Champion, Wisconsin

Background:Posts in this blog: In the news:

What's That Doing in a Nice Catholic Blog?

From time to time, a service that I use will display links to - odd - services and retailers.

I block a few of the more obvious dubious advertisers.

For example: psychic anything, numerology, mediums, and related practices are on the no-no list for Catholics. It has to do with the Church's stand on divination. I try to block those ads.

Sometime regrettable advertisements get through, anyway.

Bottom line? What that service displays reflects the local culture's norms, - not Catholic teaching.