Thursday, June 17, 2010

Some Catholic Blogs Bother Bishops - A Lot

Catholics are blogging. There's good news, and there's bad news.

First, the good news: from my point of view. During the years since that day in 1997 when I launched my first website, many Catholics and Catholic organizations have learned about the Internet and are learning how to use it.

Now, the bad news: again from my point of view. Not all Catholics know how to behave themselves.

I've written about what Bishop Gabino Zavala had to say about bloggers before. (June 4, 2010) Actually, I started out writing about the bishop's remarks - and ended up discussing an elephant and journalists. What can I say? That's the way my mind works. My brain, anyway - which is another topic.

"Very Troubled" - Not What a Catholic Wants to Hear a Bishop Say

I'm a practicing Catholic. And, to the best of my ability, an informed one. I understand the hierarchical structure of the Church well enough to know that when someone who is in authority speaks, I'd do well to listen.

So when the posts of folks who do my kind of work make a bishop "very troubled" - I get concerned.

The USCCB Media Blog posted the complete text of Bishop Gabino Zavala's remarks on June 4, 2010. If you're a Catholic and blogger, or are involved in some sort of Catholic media: I recommend reading what the bishop said. I think he's got some really good thoughts on "faithful Catholic media:" what it's not, and what it is.

I've read "What Does it Mean to be a Faithful Catholic Media Organization in the 21st Century?" And I intend to do so again - probably on Sunday. Odds are pretty good that I missed something before.

At least a Few Bloggers are Paying Attention

I'm not the only blogger who's noticed what Bishop Gabino Zavala said. Matthew Warner (National Catholic Register) probably had the bishop's remarks in mind when he a video and commentary yesterday. (Which I used as the core of a post.)

Mr. Warner was back today, with quite a bit more to say on the subject:
"Bishops Very Troubled by Some Catholic Blogs"
Matthew Warner blog, National Catholic Register (June 17, 2010)

"Bishop Gabino Zavala, auxiliary bishop of Los Angeles and Chairman of the U.S. Bishops' Communications Committee, recently spoke at the annual Catholic Media Association convention. He had a lot of really good things to say, particularly about what it means to be faithful Catholics in the media and what we can teach the secular media in the process. But he also had a message for Catholic blogs:

" 'There was consistent agreement [among brother bishops] that one aspect that is most alarming to us about media is when it becomes unchristian and hurtful to individuals. For example, we are particularly concerned about blogs that engage in attacks and hurtful, judgmental language. We are very troubled by blogs and other elements of media that assume the role of Magisterium and judge others in the Church. Such actions shatter the communion of the Church that we hold so precious.'

"I think this was an especially important point and I'm glad he made it. I have probably spoken as if I was a little too like the Magisterium and judged others a bit too harshly in blog posts in the past, myself. One of the reasons I named my personal blog Fallible Blogma was to try and make it clear from the very title that everything that originates from me is the opposite of infallible and carries the serious and full authority of some guy with a blog - despite me occasionally forgetting that...."
As "some guy with a blog," I need to be - careful.

'You Have the Right to be a Nitwit'

As an American citizen, I've got the right to write and publish a remarkably wide range of crazy, foolish ideas. As a Catholic, there are things I must do. It boils down to the old 'love God, love your neighbor' thing. But, like anything involving human beings - it gets complicated. I think the Catechism of the Catholic Church's discussions of truth and love fit in here:

Love, Catholic Style

I sometimes feel like I'm in a bind: I must love my neighbor - and regard everybody as my neighbor; but some ideas are loose in Western civilization - including America - that are dangerous, and some of my neighbor-Americans don't seem aware of that. Discussing these ideas and their consequences will probably seem "hateful." I've gone over this before. ("The Manhattan Declaration: Hateful? - Who Knew?" (November 21, 2009))

Back to an excerpt from what Bishop Gabino Zavala said:
"...As I [writes Bishop Zavala] talked with brother bishops in preparation for this presentation, there was consistent agreement that one aspect that is most alarming to us about media is when it becomes unchristian and hurtful to individuals. For example, we are particularly concerned about blogs that engage in attacks and hurtful, judgmental language. We are very troubled by blogs and other elements of media that assume the role of Magisterium and judge others in the Church. Such actions shatter the communion of the Church that we hold so precious...."
("What Does it Mean to be a Faithful Catholic Media Organization in the 21st Century?"
Bishop Gabino Zavala (June 3, 2010) (quoted in USCCB Media Blog (June 4, 2010))
[emphasis mine]
What the bishop said about blogs and other elements of media usurping the Magisterium's role is important too, which is why I have so many citations in some of my posts - but that's yet another topic. ("Magisterium?" I've written about that before.)

The "hurtful to individuals" remark is important, too, I think. Like I wrote yesterday: nobody's going to understand what another person says if they don't listen. And very few of us listen to someone who attacks us with words.

Which means that I'd better be careful about what I write. I've got an obligation to be truthful: but I've also got an obligation to not be "hurtful." Well, nobody said this would be easy. Actually, someone did - and that is yet again another topic.

Related posts:
More:
  • "Bishop Zavala on Catholic Media"
    USCCB Media Blog (June 4, 2010)
    Includes full text of
    • "What Does it Mean to be a Faithful Catholic Media Organization in the 21st Century?"
      Bishop Gabino Zavala (June 3, 2010)

No comments:

Like it? Pin it, Plus it, - - -

Pinterest: My Stuff, and More

Advertisement

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Popular Posts

Label Cloud

1277 abortion ADD ADHD-Inattentive Adoration Chapel Advent Afghanistan Africa America Amoris Laetitia angels animals annulment Annunciation anti-catholicism Antichrist apocalyptic ideas apparitions archaeology architecture Arianism art Asperger syndrome assumptions asteroid astronomy Australia authority balance and moderation baptism being Catholic beliefs bias Bible Bible and Catechism bioethics biology blogs brain Brazil business Canada capital punishment Caritas in Veritate Catechism Catholic Church Catholic counter-culture Catholicism change happens charisms charity Chile China Christianity Christmas citizenship climate change climatology cloning comets common good common sense Communion community compassion confirmation conscience conversion Corpus Christi cosmology creation credibility crime crucifix Crucifixion Cuba culture dance dark night of the soul death depression designer babies despair detachment devotion discipline disease diversity divination Divine Mercy divorce Docetism domestic church dualism duty Easter economics education elections emotions England entertainment environmental issues Epiphany Establishment Clause ethics ethnicity Eucharist eugenics Europe evangelizing evolution exobiology exoplanets exorcism extremophiles faith faith and works family Father's Day Faust Faustus fear of the Lord fiction Final Judgment First Amendment forgiveness Fortnight For Freedom free will freedom fun genetics genocide geoengineering geology getting a grip global Gnosticism God God's will good judgment government gratitude great commission guest post guilt Haiti Halloween happiness hate health Heaven Hell HHS hierarchy history holidays Holy Family Holy See Holy Spirit holy water home schooling hope humility humor hypocrisy idolatry image of God images Immaculate Conception immigrants in the news Incarnation Independence Day India information technology Internet Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Japan Jesus John Paul II joy just war justice Kansas Kenya Knights of Columbus knowledge Korea language Last Judgment last things law learning Lent Lenten Chaplet life issues love magi magic Magisterium Manichaeism marriage martyrs Mary Mass materialism media medicine meditation Memorial Day mercy meteor meteorology Mexico Minnesota miracles Missouri moderation modesty Monophysitism Mother Teresa of Calcutta Mother's Day movies music Muslims myth natural law neighbor Nestorianism New Year's Eve New Zealand news Nietzsche obedience Oceania organization original sin paleontology parish Parousia penance penitence Pentecost Philippines physical disability physics pilgrimage politics Pope Pope in Germany 2011 population growth positive law poverty prayer predestination presumption pride priests prophets prostitution Providence Purgatory purpose quantum entanglement quotes reason redemption reflections relics religion religious freedom repentance Resurrection robots Roman Missal Third Edition rosaries rules sacramentals Sacraments Saints salvation schools science secondary causes SETI sex shrines sin slavery social justice solar planets soul South Sudan space aliens space exploration Spain spirituality stem cell research stereotypes stewardship stories storm Sudan suicide Sunday obligation superstition symbols technology temptation terraforming the establishment the human condition tolerance Tradition traffic Transfiguration Transubstantiation travel Trinity trust truth uncertainty United Kingdom universal destination of goods vacation Vatican Vatican II veneration vengeance Veterans Day videos virtue vlog vocations voting war warp drive theory wealth weather wisdom within reason work worship writing

Marian Apparition: Champion, Wisconsin

Background:Posts in this blog: In the news:

What's That Doing in a Nice Catholic Blog?

From time to time, a service that I use will display links to - odd - services and retailers.

I block a few of the more obvious dubious advertisers.

For example: psychic anything, numerology, mediums, and related practices are on the no-no list for Catholics. It has to do with the Church's stand on divination. I try to block those ads.

Sometime regrettable advertisements get through, anyway.

Bottom line? What that service displays reflects the local culture's norms, - not Catholic teaching.