The New York Times article (more of an op-ed, but let that pass) didn't quote the words of Dr. George Tiller's family, as relayed by the family's attorneys, Lee Thompson and Dan Monnat:
"...'effective immediately, Women's Health Care Services, Inc., will be permanently closed.It's quite probable that some "women's health care needs" were met by Dr. Tiller's clinic, besides removing those "parasites," or "formless blobs of protoplasm" that look like people. I think it's also probable, given the family's attitude toward Dr.Tiller's "service and courage," that they'll be helping to pay for abortions.
" 'We are proud of the service and courage shown by our husband and father and know that women's health care needs have been met because of his dedication and service,' the statement read. 'That is a legacy that will never die.'
"The family said it plans to honor Tiller's memory through work at private charities...." (FOXNews
Dr. George Tiller's Clinic, 'Those People,' and the LawMy guess is that "anti-choicers" will be blamed for the closing of Dr. Tiller's clinic, as the story circulates in the 'better' circles of American society. It's 'obvious,' to some people, that those who they see as 'hate-filled, murderous, gun-toting far-right-wing-extremist, anti-choicers' collectively murdered a benevolent doctor and forced his nice clinic to shut its doors.
It's possible, though, that Women's Health Care Services decided to close down for more practical reasons. Even abortionists have to follow a few rules, and Dr. Tiller may not have been following them. He'd side-stepped one conviction, but was still in legal trouble, at the time of his murder. (June 2, 2009) Scott Roeder may have come along at a very opportune time for other people at the clinic.
I am Quite Sure that Dr. George Tiller's Work Will ContinueAs an 'anti-choicer,' I'm not trying to 'focus my hate' on the charities which will carry on Dr. George Tiller's work of killing babies who are inconvenient, or unwanted for some reason. I hope that nobody who reads this post starts hating Dr. Tiller's family, either. Or, those lawyers.
I do think it's a good idea, though, to remember that Dr. Tiller's work will continue, as long as America's laws and institutions support the idea that people need to have survived to a prescribed age before they're recognized as persons. Laws which recognize as homicide, the collateral death of a pre-born baby when the mother is killed, are a step in the right direction. But there's a long way to go before all Americans have the right to life - never mind liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
- "Dr. George Tiller's Murder Link Page"
(June 2, 2009, routinely updated)
- "Late Term Abortions Reality Check"
(June 2, 2009)
- "Pro-Life People - "Domestic Terrorists and Violent Racketeers": Who Knew?"
(June 1, 2009)
- "Opportunity to Practice Charity: Kidney Donor Says He Needs Help"
(May 21, 2009)
- "DHS Report Identifying Veterans and Pro-Lifers as Potential Terrorists (Quietly) Withdrawn"
(May 14, 2009)
- "'Hand of Hope' Spinal Bifida Case - Eugenics, Ersatz Compassion, and Life"
(May 6, 2009)
- "Fear of Right-Wing Extremism: Commie-Hunting in Reverse"
(April 19, 2009)
- "Pro-Life? You May be a Dangerous Domestic Terrorist! MIAC Says So"
(March 23, 2009)
- "Feeling Ungood About Doublethink? Here's Help"
(March 23, 2009)
- "Human Clones Possible: Don't Worry, They're Just for Parts and Research"
(February 2, 2009)
- "Dred Scott, the Slavery Compromise, and Who to Trust"
(February 2, 2009)
- "The Catholic Church Won't Even Let People Kill Themselves"
(January 28, 2009)
- "Pro-Abortion Slogans Sound Nice, Hide Nasty Facts"
(November 15, 2008)
- "Conservative? Liberal? Democrat? Republican? No, I'm Catholic"
(November 3, 2008)
- "Life: It's a Single Issue, and an Important One"
(November 2, 2008)
- "Capital Punishment: Killing Those Who Deserve to Die"
(October 2, 2008)
- "Clinic of Murdered Kansas Abortion Doctor Will Be 'Permanently Closed' "
FOXNews (June 9, 2009)
- "With Dr. Tiller’s clinic closed, anti-choicers lack a target"
Feministe (June 8, 2008)
- "Closed Clinic Leaves Abortion Protesters at a Loss "
The New York Times (June 7, 2009)