James Pouillon, one of the people shot in Owosso, Michigan, apparently was shot because of his views on a woman's inviolable right to kill her babies.
Provided she does so within the legally prescribed time currently available under American law.
Sounds different, when I put it that way. Here's another version: He was shot because of his pro-life views.
I think of Mr. Pouillon as being pro-life. Like me.
Labels MatterWhat people are called really does make a difference.
"Anti-abortion" is what people are, when they try to force their views on others, and stand in the way of a woman's right to choose. They're dead-set against the tolerant, open-minded "my life, my choice" standard that has applied since Roe v. Wade liberated American women from the oppression of pregnancy caused by male chauvinist pigs.
"Pro-life" is what people are, when they think that, on the whole, it isn't nice to kill babies and sick people: and that we shouldn't do it. I'll grant that this involves forcing someone else's views on a woman who found out that somewhere in the last month she picked up an unwanted parasite (I remember when the was the 'correct' view of a baby): or the family who is tired of waiting for granny to die.
Labels matter, because they can suggest or imply how the reality they identify is supposed to be viewed.
As I said before, I call myself pro-life. It's not that I'm unsymapthetic with someone who didn't expect to get pregnant, or a family waiting for an inheritance: but I'm also concerned about the person who can be killed, quite legally, in this country.
Back to James PouillonAccording to police and the prosecutor, it wasn't Mr. Pouillon's beliefs that angered the assailant, so much as the sign he carried outside the Owosso, Michigan, high school.
"...It was Pouillon's presence outside the high school that seemed to drive Drake to kill, said assistant prosecutor Sara Edwards.I can see why that sign angered the killer.
That 'seemed to bother him .... the fact that he was outside the high school with his signs in front of children going to school,' Edwards said...."
"...Students said they regularly saw Pouillon outside their high school and that he often greeted them, but didn't shout slogans or try to start up a conversation with them.
" 'I can see someone spitting on him or punching him, but shooting him is pretty stupid,' said 16-year-old Curtis Wisterman...."
"...James Pouillon stood with a sign that pictured a chubby-cheeked baby with the word "LIFE" on one side and an image of an aborted fetus with the word "ABORTION" on the other...."It must feel bad, to see what "anti-abortion" people are talking about - and realize that impressionable youth are being exposed to the idea that a woman's right to choose involves killing babies.
Harlan James Drake, the accused killer, killed Mike Fuoss, too, and would have also shot another person if he hadn't been stopped. Mr. Drake seems to have been rather angry that day.
As I said yesterday, I'm quite sure that people who staunchly uphold a woman's right to choose/kill her baby wouldn't use a gun to hurt anyone.
I do think, though, that it's important to remember what those "anti-abortion" people think they're trying to do.
- "Mr. Pouillon's Dead: Pro-Life Protester Shot"
(September 11, 2009)
- " 'I Hate Barack Obama' - Maybe Not the Best Message from a Pulpit"
(September 1, 2009)
- "Ted Kennedy, the Catholic Church, and Our Law"
(August 27, 2009)
- ""Your Life, Your Choices" is Back"
(August 23, 2009)
- "Pro-Life Americans Declared Terrorists: It Can't Happen Here?"
(July 6, 2009)
- "Late Term Abortions Reality Check"
(June 2, 2009)
- "Dr. George Tiller's Murder Link Page"
(June 2, 2009)
- "Fear of Right-Wing Extremism: Commie-Hunting in Reverse"
(April 19, 2009)
- "Capital Punishment: for Troy Davis, it's Personal"
(April 18, 2009)
- "Pro-Life? You May be a Dangerous Domestic Terrorist! MIAC Says So"
(March 23, 2009)
- "Conservative? Liberal? Democrat? Republican? No, I'm Catholic"
(November 3, 2008)
- "Life: It's a Single Issue, and an Important One"
(November 2, 2008)
- "Capital Punishment: Killing Those Who Deserve to Die"
(October 2, 2008)
- "Pro-Abortion Slogans Sound Nice, Hide Nasty Facts" (November 15, 2008)
- "Prosecutor: Anti-abortion sign angered gunman"
The Associated Press (September 11, 2009)
- "Police: Shooting suspect offended by anti-abortion material"
CNN (September 11, 2009)