My wife corrected me: I'm fine with authority, she said. I like authority, she said.
Thinking about it a little, I realized that what I'd done was confuse my attitude toward pompous nitwits with a professional title and a fancy desk, with my attitude toward rational process and proven traditions. It's why I drive on the right side of the road - and would drive in the left lane if I was in a country with that rule.
It's also why I decided to join the organization whose authority goes straight back to Peter - who was given "the keys to the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 16:18-19)
- "Steve Ray, Sauk Centre, Occam's Razor, and Me"
(February 27, 2011)
- "The Village, the Fence and the Sign"
(December 5, 2010)
- "Why Don't I Cite 'Pastor Bob' as My Authority?"
(May 27, 2010)
- "A Young Man With 'Old' Ideas, Vatican II, and the AmChurch"
(April 25, 2010)
- "The Catholic Church: Authoritarian, Which Isn't Necessarily a Bad Thing"
(October 2, 2008)