In context, I gather that NOW is talking about pro-life organizations like Operation Rescue and Priests for Life.
It looks like the man who killed Dr. Tiller was reacting to Dr. Tiller's professional interest in killing babies in the third trimester. Dr. George Tiller was one of the few American doctors who were willing to kill a baby at a point where the child was starting to look like a person. It also looks like Dr. Tiller's killer acted alone: but the investigation's only just begun.
I don't think that killing babies is right: but killing abortionists isn't right, either. (May 31, 2009)
And Now, a Word from "Domestic Terrorists and Violent Racketeers"One of them, anyway.
Father Frank Pavone is, with his bishop's permission, the National Director of Priests for Life. He had a few words to say about the killing of Dr. George Tiller:
" 'I am saddened to hear of the killing of George Tiller this morning. At this point, we do not know the motives of this act, or who is behind it, whether an angry post-abortive man or woman, or a misguided activist, or an enemy within the abortion industry, or a political enemy frustrated with the way Tiller has escaped prosecution. We should not jump to conclusions or rush to judgment.Fr. Pavone also wrote a post in his blog, mostly dealing with another person's reaction to Dr. Tiller's death: "Dr. Alveda King - Sorrow that Dr. Tiller Didn't Live to Repent".
" 'But whatever the motives, we at Priests for Life continue to insist on a culture in which violence is never seen as the solution to any problem. Every life has to be protected, without regard to their age or views or actions.' " (Fr. Frank Pavone, Priests for Life)
That post is good reading - and a good reminder.
Prayer is a good idea.
Dr. George Tiller's death can serve as a reminder that we have a limited time to deal with the choices we have. Although what you do is strictly up to you, I suggest that you consider praying for wisdom and patience; pray that people who believe killing babies is right will change their minds; and pray that babies whose lives are threatened today will live until tomorrow.
- "Pro-Life People - 'Domestic Terrorists and Violent Racketeers': Who Knew?"
(June 1, 2009)
- "Dr. George Tiller Murdered: Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right"
(May 31, 2009)
- "Fear of Right-Wing Extremism: Commie-Hunting in Reverse"
(April 19, 2009)
- "Capital Punishment: for Troy Davis, it's Personal"
(April 18, 2009)
- "Pro-Life? You May be a Dangerous Domestic Terrorist! MIAC Says So"
(March 23, 2009)
- "Conservative? Liberal? Democrat? Republican? No, I'm Catholic"
(November 3, 2008)
- "Life: It's a Single Issue, and an Important One"
(November 2, 2008)
- "Capital Punishment: Killing Those Who Deserve to Die"
(October 2, 2008)
- "CATHOLIC BISHOPS ADDRESS THE MURDER OF
DR. GEORGE TILLER"
Kansas Catholic Conference (June 1, 2009)
- "Tiller murder evokes heightened conflict between opposing groups"
Pamela Luther, Chicago Roman Catholic Examiner (June 1, 2009)
- "Statement on the Killing of George Tiller"
Priests for Life (undated, apparently June 1, 2009)
- "Dr. Alveda King – Sorrow that Dr. Tiller Didn't Live to Repent"
Fr. Frank Pavone's Blog (June 1, 2009)
Update (June 1, 2009)
Statement from Kansas Catholic Conference added to "Views."
More, about Dr. George Tiller's murder:
A tip of the hat to Pamluther and frfrankpavone on Twitter, for the heads-up on Father Frank Pavone's post.