Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween, Emperor Palpatine, Electric Eyeballs, and Getting a Grip

Halloween's coming this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing kids from around this part of Sauk Centre come by, dressed up as princesses, spooks - or, if it doesn't warm up by then, layers of winter outerwear.

Where's the Religious Sound and Fury?

I haven't stopped being a practicing Catholic: and I'm quite well aware that October 31st is the Thirty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time. We've got the The Solemnity of All Saints and The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls), on November 1 and 2. Same as last year.

I'll be there, God willing, celebrating Mass with the rest of the parish at Our Lady of the Angels church.

But I also expect to be here, near the front door of my house, helping kids enjoy an autumn holiday: and having some fun, myself.

I don't see a contradiction there: partly because I don't think knowing, loving, and serving God requires grim disapproval of electric eyeballs. I'll get back to that.

Catholic, Living in America

I don't mind being born in America. I even think this country is okay. I also think Finland, Sri Lanka, Kenya and Tokelau are okay.

Growing up in America, I've absorbed quite a bit of the local culture. Which is a sort of good news/bad news proposition. Same, I suspect, as growing up anywhere else.

I'm also a practicing Catholic, and a convert. Which puts me outside both the American secular culture and the American Protestant culture(s).

I grew up in a nice, mainstream Protestant household about a block away from a college campus, in a place where a great many people were convinced that the Catholic Church was evil, Satanic, and un-American.

My parents didn't share that notion, but it was hard to not notice what the 'first church of holy hate' had to say.

I also learned about the Puritans. Mostly in school, and from folks who were anything but puritanical.

Definition time. "Puritanism" is:
  • The beliefs and practices characteristic of Puritans
    • Most of whom were Calvinists who wished to purify the Church of England of its Catholic aspects
  • Strictness and austerity in conduct and religion
    (Princeton's WordNet)
There's a time and place for austerity and strictness - and I suspect that the Puritans weren't quite as bad as some feel they were. And those are other topics.

A Report from the Department of Unintended Consequences

The painfully Biblical folks who ranted on radio and railed against the evils of the Commies and the Catholics weren't, I'm pretty sure, Puritans. But they shared the passion for "strictness and austerity."

They also painted a - colorful - picture of the Catholic Church and the Commies. To their credit, they didn't confuse the two.

When it came to the Whore of Babylon, these terribly religious ranters seemed convinced that the very personification of evil threatened America, motherhood, and apple pie. Think Star Wars' evil Emperor Palpatine, without his good looks and winsome charm.

As a teen, I wondered how such utterly vile people could exist - and endure.

So, being the sort of person I am, I started learning about the origins of Catholicism. Including the claim that God had personally set up their outfit, and had been maintaining it for the last couple millennia.

There were several possible explanations. Catholics could all be crazy. They could all be liars. Or they could be telling the truth.

There was a paper trail leading back to the early years of the Roman Empire - and beyond. The Catholic Church had endured catastrophes which could reasonably be expected to destroy a large organization.

There had been times when it was profitable to be Pope, but the idea that the whole 'Jesus' thing was made up for personal gain wouldn't wash. Only one of Jesus' 12 apostles hadn't been messily executed for standing by their beliefs. I figured the least-unlikely explanation was that the Catholic Church was simply what it said it was.

So I became a Catholic. I've written about that before.

Electric Eyeballs and Getting a Grip

I can't remember a time when I didn't take God and Jesus seriously - and the Holy Spirit, of course. That's why, as a teen, I made it a habit to tune in the 'religious' radio stations. I learned quite a bit that way.

Remember: I take God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit seriously. Folks with a knack for numerology and possible emotional issues - not so much.
Loud Taste and Numbers
I was picking up toothpaste in a grocery down the street the other day, and walked by the shelves where they keep seasonal items. Which this week is Halloween-related stuff.


Halloween's coming, which means lots of orange and black on store shelves. October 25, 2010.


And, this year, electric eyeballs. October 25, 2010.

I've been told that my aesthetic tastes are a bit on the loud side. When I saw that box of electric eyeball-lights, I had an impulse to get them and string them up around my desk.

I didn't, but not because I think they're Satanic. I'm married - and my wife's aesthetic sense isn't loud-bordering-on-tasteless.

On the other hand, I remember the radio preachers. Given a running start, I could whip up a rant about ten electric eyeballs and seven heads and ten horns and all that. (Revelation 17:3)

You'll notice that there are ten electric eyeballs in the box, and that seven are arranged in a hexagonal pattern - and no, I don't take that weird fusion of numerology, American culture and marketing very seriously.

I'm not going to buy those eyeball lights. But I'm not going to rant about Halloween, either.

Around here Halloween is a time when kids and their parents and/or older siblings go around, trick-or-treating. And the grocery has some wonderfully tacky decorations on the shelves.

Maybe, if all of America was just simply perfect and utterly in solidarity with the Magisterium, and cholera wasn't afflicting anybody anywhere, and the only problem in the whole wide world was a dissonance involving the The Solemnity of All Saints and kids dressed up as spooks - maybe then I'd rant about Halloween.

As it is, I'm glad to have a break from the political campaigns. And that's yet another topic.

Almost-related posts:

2 comments:

Left-footer said...

Go on! I'd love a pair of electric eyeball lights!

You're right about having fun. Catholic does not equal grim.

Brian H. Gill said...

Left-Footer,

:D Thanks for the support - I'll use the money for something else, though.

About having fun? Indeed! I plan to get back to that idea, maybe Monday.

Like it? Pin it, Plus it, - - -

Pinterest: My Stuff, and More

Advertisement

Unique, innovative candles


Visit us online:
Spiral Light CandleFind a Retailer
Spiral Light Candle Store

Popular Posts

Label Cloud

1277 abortion ADD ADHD-Inattentive Adoration Chapel Advent Afghanistan Africa America Amoris Laetitia angels animals annulment Annunciation anti-catholicism Antichrist apocalyptic ideas apparitions archaeology architecture Arianism art Asperger syndrome assumptions asteroid astronomy Australia authority balance and moderation baptism being Catholic beliefs bias Bible Bible and Catechism bioethics biology blogs brain Brazil business Canada capital punishment Caritas in Veritate Catechism Catholic Church Catholic counter-culture Catholicism change happens charisms charity Chile China Christianity Christmas citizenship climate change climatology cloning comets common good common sense Communion community compassion confirmation conscience conversion Corpus Christi cosmology creation credibility crime crucifix Crucifixion Cuba culture dance dark night of the soul death depression designer babies despair detachment devotion discipline disease diversity divination Divine Mercy divorce Docetism domestic church dualism duty Easter economics education elections emotions England entertainment environmental issues Epiphany Establishment Clause ethics ethnicity Eucharist eugenics Europe evangelizing evolution exobiology exoplanets exorcism extremophiles faith faith and works family Father's Day Faust Faustus fear of the Lord fiction Final Judgment First Amendment forgiveness Fortnight For Freedom free will freedom fun genetics genocide geoengineering geology getting a grip global Gnosticism God God's will good judgment government gratitude great commission guest post guilt Haiti Halloween happiness hate health Heaven Hell HHS hierarchy history holidays Holy Family Holy See Holy Spirit holy water home schooling hope humility humor hypocrisy idolatry image of God images Immaculate Conception immigrants in the news Incarnation Independence Day India information technology Internet Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Japan Jesus John Paul II joy just war justice Kansas Kenya Knights of Columbus knowledge Korea language Last Judgment last things law learning Lent Lenten Chaplet life issues love magi magic Magisterium Manichaeism marriage martyrs Mary Mass materialism media medicine meditation Memorial Day mercy meteor meteorology Mexico Minnesota miracles Missouri moderation modesty Monophysitism Mother Teresa of Calcutta Mother's Day movies music Muslims myth natural law neighbor Nestorianism New Year's Eve New Zealand news Nietzsche obedience Oceania organization original sin paleontology parish Parousia penance penitence Pentecost Philippines physical disability physics pilgrimage politics Pope Pope in Germany 2011 population growth positive law poverty prayer predestination presumption pride priests prophets prostitution Providence Purgatory purpose quantum entanglement quotes reason redemption reflections relics religion religious freedom repentance Resurrection robots Roman Missal Third Edition rosaries rules sacramentals Sacraments Saints salvation schools science secondary causes SETI sex shrines sin slavery social justice solar planets soul South Sudan space aliens space exploration Spain spirituality stem cell research stereotypes stewardship stories storm Sudan suicide Sunday obligation superstition symbols technology temptation terraforming the establishment the human condition tolerance Tradition traffic Transfiguration Transubstantiation travel Trinity trust truth uncertainty United Kingdom universal destination of goods vacation Vatican Vatican II veneration vengeance Veterans Day videos virtue vlog vocations voting war warp drive theory wealth weather wisdom within reason work worship writing

Marian Apparition: Champion, Wisconsin

Background:Posts in this blog: In the news:

What's That Doing in a Nice Catholic Blog?

From time to time, a service that I use will display links to - odd - services and retailers.

I block a few of the more obvious dubious advertisers.

For example: psychic anything, numerology, mediums, and related practices are on the no-no list for Catholics. It has to do with the Church's stand on divination. I try to block those ads.

Sometime regrettable advertisements get through, anyway.

Bottom line? What that service displays reflects the local culture's norms, - not Catholic teaching.